Why is the CFDC needed?
- There over 3.4 million persons with disabilities in Florida.
- Employment rate among working age disabled persons is around 40% which is well below the average of the region as a whole.
- Persons with disabilities are more likely to be entrepreneurial than the population as a whole.
- Self-employment for persons with disabilities has issues that do not exist for persons who do not have disabilities:
- Example: maintaining government-provided insurance and additional benefits for a sufficient time to become successful.
- There is no other organization in Florida that focuses on these issues.
Many people with disabilities are interested in the opportunities for income and independence that starting their own business offers. Owning and operating a successful business can be a very satisfying way to become financially independent and, at the same time, promote business growth and development in the State of Florida.